They are close to grasshoppers, and in fact, they have a very similar physical form. The land lobster is an orthoptera insect with long hind legs to jump and two pairs of wings that, however, not all species of lobster used to fly.
What characterizes them the most is their nomadic character since they spend most of their time migrating from one place to another and carrying their colonies with them, given the great ease of reproducing quickly getting to form the dreaded plagues. In this article, you will know more about this insect, what causes mark its formation of pests, and what to do to combat them.
The most famous plague in history
That’s right. If its name sounds to you, it is precisely because it is one of the seven plagues of the Bible. In it, we find the oldest record on a plague of lobsters. Specifically, the eighth plague of Egypt, which was warned by Moses to Pharaoh. Unfortunately, the existence of this plague is not limited to the Bible but continues to wreak havoc today.
The main problem is that they cause great damage to agriculture since they destroy whole crops in many parts of the world, especially in some regions of Africa whose survival depends largely on their farmland. Although it is originally from that continent, it is currently in more than 60 countries.
Its danger is such because of its great capacity to reproduce since it is estimated that its species could cover a fifth of the total land area. In fact, in a single square kilometer, we can find up to 80 million copies. Lobsters feed on plants and also eat the equivalent of their weight each day.
Causes of locust pests
According to the latest findings of the University of Oxford, although solitary lobsters are absolutely harmless insects and could even be classified as ‘antisocial,’ when they are in swarms, things change radically.
The researchers say that when they form an entire pest, the segregation of serotonin, a neurotransmitter, is known as ‘the welfare hormone,’ increases. In fact, it is considered that they pass from their solitary phase (which they take advantage of to reproduce and provide food, in times of rain) to their gregarious phase, when the drought stage arrives, and there is not much food, so they transform physically by increasing in size and changing its color and shape to move to other sites in a much more active way .
Where are lobster pests?
The truth is that its high speed of movement allows you to reach anywhere without a problem. They are born migrants who can travel 90 kilometers in about 5 or 6 hours. Therefore, although they are more typical of areas of Africa and East Asia, there have been cases of locust pests in many areas of the world.
- In Spain, for example, there have been locust pests in the Alcudia Valley (Ciudad Real), in Badajoz and even in Zaragoza. Generally, areas that usually spend long periods of drought where lobsters cannot collect food without moving in copious swarms.
- On the other hand, there have been very serious cases of locust pests in Argentina, where even the program even left farm animals without pastures to feed on, which has caused various famines.
- Likewise, in other parts of the world like Mexico or Russia, wherein a single whip damaged more than 110,000 hectares of agricultural land.
How to combat locust pests
- In the case that we only have a few, it is best to eliminate them as soon as possible to avoid laying eggs. For this purpose, there are specific insecticides such as Polaris, a granulated bait insecticide that also serves to kill other animals or insects.
- If you want something more natural, you can make a garlic-based repellent that usually has good results with small pests. If you have seen them hanging around some plants in your garden or terrace, apply the product on them and the nearest areas. This method works more like a repellent since although it keeps them at bay, it does not kill them. You can also do it with onion or chili well ground. In any case, cook the food and use the excess water to spray.
- On the other hand, if you don’t have too many and you have space to have other animals, remember that the natural predators of lobsters are chickens and ducks. You can let them do the work for you.
Remember that if the plague begins to take larger measures, it is best to notify the authorities, as they are very difficult to control.