It is not usually an animal that often inhabits human houses, but if any of the family members let them through, it is very likely that they form a small plague at home.
We refer to fleas, that tiny animal that can become a real nightmare due to the numerous bites it leaves on our skin.
Here you will find all the necessary information about them.
What exactly are fleas?
Although you will know them well and surely on more than one occasion, you have suffered a few of their annoying bites. We do not always know how to identify them when we see them with the naked eye.
Fleas are very small insects of dark colors that do not have wings to fly but some hind legs with enough force to make great leaps. Fleas feed on the blood of other animals and, yes that also includes humans. Its size varies between 1.5 and 3.3 millimeters long.
As for their most common habitat, although they are insects that live between weeds and grasses, they can use another animal as habitat.
Therefore, we can find them both in the hair of our pets as well as in carpets, sheets, blankets, and other textile objects. They usually shelter there until they go out to feed. Generally, they prefer warm and very humid environments, so closed sites with humidities such as stables or farms are to your liking.
How to prevent the appearance of fleas
As we have said, fleas feed on the blood of their guests, so we must take our pets into account at this point.
Therefore, all animals that live at home should receive regular reviews and treatments against these insects.
On the other hand, if we live in some area on the outskirts of the city, in the countryside or somewhere in the middle of nature, or if we frequent these places regularly, we should check our clothes from time to time before washing it to check which does not carry any unwanted animals.
Remember that flea infestations can occur in a few seconds, and it is enough that these animals jump into our clothes and find in it a warm place for us to take them home.
When identifying the presence of these insects, we must look for those bugs that jump from one side of our clothes, sheets, or blankets, as well as some furniture with textiles such as the sofa, chairs or armchairs.
Another way to know if there is in our house is the presence of bites or stings in the skin of people and pets.
They are a kind of pinkish rash, always several, that appear on the skin and can cause itching. When it comes to differentiating the types of fleas we can attend to the following:
- Cat flea: usually appears in animals such as cats, foxes, rabbit rabbits, and sometimes, also in dogs.
- Dog flea: as the name implies, this flea is also found in dogs, and it is not difficult to see it in humans.
- Flea of the birds: it lives in the nests of these animals and usually takes refuge in chicken coops or birdhouses to feed on them.
- Man flea: this type of flea is usually in the dirtiest places, so it frequently attacks livestock or animals that do not live in conditions that are too hygienic.
How to eliminate flea pests
If we want to kill fleas in our home, we have to discover all the places where it is. That is why here are some tips for treating the different foci of fleas :
- First of all, if you have pets, it is important that you go to the veterinarian so that you can buy some product that ends the animal’s fleas and helps prevent those that may come.
- On the other hand, you should look well on sheets, blankets, and clothes, and wash the clothes you think are infected.
- In any supermarket, you can find products against flea pests. Use them if you have abundant pests or if you know the area where most of the specimens are concentrated.
- On the other hand, if you are looking for a more natural remedy, try wormwood and salt. Both act as a repellent, but in the case of wormwood, it will be enough to have it in the areas of the house where you think there is a presence of fleas. In the case of salt, the idea is that you pour a little on carpets and sheets before washing them.
- To eliminate fleas from pets, you can also try adding some apple cider vinegar in your shampoo. It prevents it from falling into the animal’s eyes and mouth so as not to cause itching.
- Finally, if you have a real flea pest problem, it is best to hire a specialist to exterminate the root pest.